In FY 2015-16, the education market was worth about US$ 100 billion and is expected to reach US$ 116.4 billion in FY 2016-17.
Currently, higher education contributes 59.7 per cent of the market size, school education 38.1 per cent, pre-school segment 1.6 per cent, and technology and multi-media the remaining 0.6 per cent.
This industry deals with the provision of regular classes for the preparation of students for various exams supplementary to the formal education.
With the rise of nuclear family, with both parents working & spending big chunks of their incomes on child’s education to satisfy their desire to stay ahead in the global economy as they want their child to score more in each and every exam coaching business is not only booming Coaching Center industry is expanding at an alarming rate.
The popularity of these classes has increased tremendously in last 7-8 years among them the big ones are Aakash Institute, TIME, FIITJEE & VMC e.t.c are focused on exams such as the CAT Common Admission Test, Management Aptitude Test, IIT Joint Entrance Examination, as well as international exams such as GMAT, GRE, IELTS and TOEFL apart from this there are media giants who have their subsidiaries in the industry and trying to find a niche in the sector.
Coaching classes today have become an important part of a child’s daily routine the trend, which was once considered vexing by parents, is now utterly unavoidable.
As an industry, coaching classes are no longer an option but a necessity. As per the recent ASSOCHAM’s survey, a whopping number of close to 87% of primary school children and up to 95% of the higher secondary attend private coaching classes.
INDIAN EDUCATION SYSTEM
Our education System is a complete failure whether its introduction of C.C.E Pattern or giving weight age to XII result in IIT Jee Exam.
Most of our metro cities have become Hub for these tuition or coaching centers like New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Bangalore, and Chennai for civil services, law, C.A. or medical coaching urban towns like Jaipur, Chandigarh, and Kota for engineering, Pune for Designing or Management etc.
INCREASE IN COMPETION LACK OF QUALITY OF EDUCATION IN SCHOOLS
With cut to throat competition getting a seat in the best coaching center is today as important as getting into, say, an IIM or IIT. However, private tutoring further disadvantages children from lower family incomes and serves the needs of only those, whose pockets can afford their high fee
- It’s not wrong to say private coaching is a way to head as compare mainstream education thanks to poor standards of teaching in schools and a parental desire to stay ahead.
- Whether its integration of technology with subjects to capture child’s interest and enhance the performance.
SCHOOLS ARE FOCUSED ON QUANTITY RATHER THAN QUALITY
- Even there are so many schools or colleges having tie-ups or we can Exclusive tie-ups with the Coaching centers allows them either promotional activities, Scholarship test or let them use their infrastructure for conducting classes.
- When confronted school says that they had rented out the classrooms to enable students to attend all lectures and to save them the trouble of shuttling between college/school and coaching classes.
- Obviously, they charge huge amount as rent from these centers or have a setup per enrollment basis that’s not the only thing which is wrong with schools.
SCHOOL TEACHERS ARE QUITTING IN DROVES
Many Teachers are now quitting in droves and making a beeline for coaching Institutes there are many reasons for this like each year the number of students in a class increases (many schools have section from “A” to “H” for a class) & so does the workload & the curriculum but the pay scale remains the same that’s not all they are overloaded.
- With lots of extracurricular activities and they have to be actively involved in different activities as and when they get time, due to which so many times they try to speed up the syllabus and it becomes difficult for a student to cope with the speed which gives students a reason not to pay attention in classroom
- As all the learning is done intuitions only they don’t understand and value what has been taught in school.
- Coaching has become informal and alternate learning support system in addition to regular formal studies, to further enriching the students with the knowledge and enhance their competence.
THE INDUSTRY IS GROWING BECAUSE OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS.
- Lack of availability, accessibility, and quality of government established formal institutions.
- Exam Anxiety- The exam phobia is a major attributor for enrolling in coaching classes as it is seen as the most common solution among st children who want to excel academically.
- Extra Push–Even the best of the best students have room for improvement, keeping this thought in mind even school teachers sometimes recommend Coaching classes as they have little time for individual attention.
- New generation wants to achieve things quickly and easily Coaching provides them examination oriented study, easy at hand notes etc.
- Cut through competition due to High population fewer opportunities of employment.
- Feeling of insecurity in the minds of students guardians.
- Increased income level and educational expenditure as the top priority of guardians.
The coaching Centers Mandi isn’t as bad thing as is perceived if operated with govt. regulation now a days as we don’t have other alternative. However, there is Strong need for regulation of this industry, as when a consumer is suffering he should know what are steps he can opt for or who will address his/her Grievances and the pain of drain of money for poor is immense. Other than this, the excessive mental depression and increasing suicidal tendencies among students are the things that requires special concern.